#1 longshot

longshot

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

So I am not a big fan of the BoLS Great Gargant rules. While it lasts a long time on the battle field It is not very interesting and not very effective. After reading IA 8 and falling in love with the Kustom Stompa rules I wrote this up and it owes a lot to that set of rules. I dont think I am breaking any IP here please let me know if you notice any thing that does. Let me know what you all think please.

UNIT: 1 Great Gargant   2500pts

TYPE: Super Heavy Walker

Structure points:  10

Power Fields:  7+D3

ACCESS POINTS: One Rear

Transport: 60 Orks,  Mek boy’s Kustom Force Fields have no effect while in a Gargant

WEAPONS AND EQUIPMENT:
2 Hull mounted Big Shootas
1 rear mounted Twin linked Big Shootas
Gut Busta

One head weapon** from the following list:
Gaze of Mork
Flame Belcha
Skullhamma Kannon

Two shoulder weapons** from the following list:
Deff Kannon
Giga Shoota
Flakk Gun
Supa-Lobba
Big-Zappa
Supa-Scorcha
Shunta
Observation Tower***

Two Arm Weapons from the following list:
Uge Shoota
Supa-Lifta-Droppa*
Supa-Zappa
Supa-Bursta Kannon
Uge Lobba
Titan Close Combat Weapon*
Krusha Ball*

Special Rules:
• Repair Krew, same as rule in IA8 but each big Mek riding in the Gargant allows an additional roll to repair up to a maximum of 3 rolls.
• Effigy
• Ramshackle Monster
•Towering Inferno: Once crippled, a Great Gargant will tend to erupt in great gouts of flame, careening out of control as internal fires tear it apart from within.
Catastrophic Damage Table “Wrecked” results instead move the Gargant ahead
2d6”. All normal movement rules apply. It is no longer scoring, may not fire any
weapons or change its facing. Roll again on the Catastrophic Damage Table at the
start of each ork turn until the Great Gargant explodes or leaves the table.
• Observation Tower: Grants the Precision Strike asset. This Asset only applys to the Great Gargant’s weapons.

Options:
Add up to 9 supa-rokkits +20pts each
Add up to 6 Big shootas +5pts each
Add up to 4 Grot Bomb Launchas   +10pts each
Reduce transport by 10 models and gain
-Kannon         +10pts
-Flame Belcha         +30pts
-Big Zappa         +30pts
-Killkannon         +60pts
-Giga-shoota         +75pts

Weapon Range Strength AP Special
Gut Busta
Air Burst Shot         60" 6 3 Apocalypse Barrage (10) Primary Weapon
Solid Shot         60" D 2 Ordnance 1, 5” Blast Destroyer, Primary Weapon
Chain Shot         60" 9 3 Ordnance 1, 7” Blast, Primary Weapon
Uge Shoota         48" 7 3 Heavy 6D6 Primary Weapon
Supa Bursta Kannon 72" D 2 Ordinance 1 7" Blast Primary Weapon
Uge Lobba         180" 9 3 Ordinance 3 10" Blast Primary Weapon
Supa Zappa         96" 3D6 2 Ordinance D3 7" Blast Primary Weapon****
Uge Lifta Droppa* 48" D 1 Heavy1 10” Blast Primary Weapon*****

*A Great Gargant can only take a single  Supa-Lifta-Droppa, Titan Close Combat Weapon, or Krusha Ball
** All head and shoulder weapons count as Primary Weapons
*** A Great Gargant can only have one Observation Tower
**** Any roll for Strength that equals 11 or more is considered  Strength D
***** The Supa Lifta Droppa uses the same rules as a regular Lifta-Droppa except it’s range is 72” and it can effect Super heavies and Gargantuan Creatures.
Posted Image

#2 Rynthae

Rynthae

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationCalifornia!

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

O.O" whoa...
Rain their death! From the sky their doom will rain!- battle cry of the Apocalypse Angels.

"We will ride on wings of flame, down to the earth to light the way with the sight of your death. The Rivers will flow with blood, your feet will trample bone and your lungs will only know the taste of ash. This, I promise you. We are the Apocalypse and we bring the Emperor's light to you."-Last words heard by Word Bearer Witch Xerviase, before being excecuted by Second Captain Rynthae.

Current Chapter master, Rynthae, the positions of First Captain is held by Giest Othello Libertas and Second Captain is now held by Cairus Zephyer.

Current actions: defending their Chapter planet Rhamos from Tyranid attack. Also helping the Knights Templar fight off Orks of WAAAAGHH Snaggrod, small raiding parties have tricked the Orks into fighting the Tyranids.

Current strength of the chapter: casulties at 67%, injured at 13%.

Scout companies at 100%. Three companies at 500 scouts each.
Tank reserves at 27%.
Planet reserves at 14%.
PDF-Wiped out.
Rhamoria Guard at 45%, being led by Captain Oraticar of Third Company, also the Company that sustained the least casulties.
Legio Rhamotaticus engaged at 36%.
Reenforcement distress orders send to: Dark Angels (en route), Soul Drinkers (no response), Crimson Valkaries(full chapter engaged), Fire Angels(no response), Blood Angels(two companies engaged in the Furthumel continent.), White Consuls(no response), Iron Lords(no response), Red Scorpions(three companies deployed in the Argius continent.), Iron Snakes(three companies deployed in the Dunnmaar continent.), Crimson Fists(engaged with the orks at Knights Templars Chapter planet) and all able Imperial Guard regiments in the Ultima Segmentum.

Successor Chapters.
Crimson Valkaries.
Oathtakers. (Now turned to Chaos, redesignated as Oathbreakers.)
Death Templars.
Doom Angels.
Seige Breakers.
Fire Guard.
Grey Paladins.
The Ghouls.
Black Skulls.
(Just a bit of fluff so far.)

#3 Sanguinius

Sanguinius

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

I like this - we need to try this out!
By the blood of Sanguinius!

#4 DaBigBomma

DaBigBomma

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:42 AM

Something this powerful would need to be Warlord-sized or bigger.  You could just borrow a neighborhood kid, slap some bulky cardboard around him and have him stand on the gaming table.   ;)

#5 Grey Mage

Grey Mage

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:01 AM

Would the KFF affecting just the Great Gargant work?
The best defense is a good offense.

Looking to buy random eldar, from phantom titan to guardian defenders. If youve got a deal send me a PM.

#6 powellhall

powellhall

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSt Charles, MO

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:45 AM

I was just looking at this and I just noticed that the Observation tower grants Precision Strike.  
Best case scenario... one unit within 36” could be hit with:

8x S5 AP5 Assault 3
1x SD AP2 Ord 1, 5” blast
1x S9 AP3 Ord 1, 10” blast
1x S10 AP1 Ord 1, 7” blast
2x SD AP2 Ord 1, 7” blast
4x S8 AP3 Ord 1, 5” blast
15x S8 AP3 Heavy 1

And all hitting on a 2+ (how would that affect Blast/scatter?). This thing might be able to destroy just about anything on the table.
Can't wait to see what you do with Mega-Gargant rules

#7 SunDanzer

SunDanzer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:52 AM

View PostDaBigBomma, on 25 October 2010 - 01:42 AM, said:

Something this powerful would need to be Warlord-sized or bigger.  You could just borrow a neighborhood kid, slap some bulky cardboard around him and have him stand on the gaming table.   ;)

2500 points is Warlord sized.

these rules would befit the Mega Gargant. the bols rules for the great gargant works just fine  B)

#8 Grey Mage

Grey Mage

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:04 AM

Umm.... sundanzer? THe Big Gargant is 2500pts in the BOLS rules.

Looking to buy random eldar, from phantom titan to guardian defenders. If youve got a deal send me a PM.

#9 Sturm Moonwolf

Sturm Moonwolf

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:06 AM

I better not mention this to my local Orc players cuz this will get built...
If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
Sua Sponte

#10 powellhall

powellhall

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSt Charles, MO

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:53 AM

View PostGrey Mage, on 28 February 2011 - 03:04 AM, said:

Umm.... sundanzer? THe Big Gargant is 2500pts in the BOLS rules.

exactly, a Great Gargant should be "comparable" to a Warlord, a Mega should be "comparable" to an emperor class titan. This is the way a Meganob is "comparable" to a Terminator.

View PostSunDanzer, on 28 February 2011 - 02:52 AM, said:

2500 points is Warlord sized.

these rules would befit the Mega Gargant. the bols rules for the great gargant works just fine  B)

The Mega Gargant would have to have a LOT more guns and be a LOT tougher and come in at around 4000 points. I've played the BOLS rules for the Great Gargant a few times and thats it, they are "just" fine but lack any serious firepower and while it IS hard to destroy, it will probably be standing there unable to shoot after turn three.

#11 longshot

longshot

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

View Postpowellhall, on 28 February 2011 - 02:45 AM, said:

I was just looking at this and I just noticed that the Observation tower grants Precision Strike.  
Best case scenario... one unit within 36” could be hit with:

8x S5 AP5 Assault 3
1x SD AP2 Ord 1, 5” blast
1x S9 AP3 Ord 1, 10” blast
1x S10 AP1 Ord 1, 7” blast
2x SD AP2 Ord 1, 7” blast
4x S8 AP3 Ord 1, 5” blast
15x S8 AP3 Heavy 1

And all hitting on a 2+ (how would that affect Blast/scatter?). This thing might be able to destroy just about anything on the table.
Can't wait to see what you do with Mega-Gargant rules

Oh crap I didn't notice this maybe the Precision Strike should only apply to the arm mounted guns and or only weapons that don't roll to scatter.

Also maybe it should be limited to 2 extra small gunz that reduce it's transport capacity.
Posted Image

#12 powellhall

powellhall

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSt Charles, MO

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

While it may SEEM over-powered, it can only do that once. By comparison, the Warlord could fire at a target 96” away with:

2x S10 AP2 Ord 1, 10” Blast
2x SD AP2 Ord 1, 10” blast

And it can do this EVERY turn with a BS of 4.

Now if both titans got off a full volley in turn one and were then incapacitated, the GG would be over-powered but, due to the difference in weapon ranges, it's far more likely that the WL will get at least one more round of shooting than the GG.

#13 Grey Mage

Grey Mage

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

And besides- how often are you going to want to sink ALL of that firepower into a single unit? If your gunning for another titan that got within 36" is about the only thing I can think of- and even then, the big shootas are going elsewhere. Either that, or your using your 2500pt model to clear of an objective at a critical game point... in wich case, you just devoted a good sized army to the task, and I dont see the probable results as overpowering.

If, for whatever reason, an Emperor Titan got within range of this boyz full salvo, you could expect it to strip the shield and rip off a few structure points- and maybe a couple guns. Next turn the Gargant would like find its own self ripped to peices, power fields dropped by supporting fire and then pummeled by some of the largest guns in existence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users