#1 BigKahuna

BigKahuna

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationSaint Peters, MO

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

So with the latest being only 1 custom unit/model per player (or 20K of points) I am thinking I will leave the Magnus out and see about this:

Posted Image

I need to update the pictures but this is the model that longshot created.

Posted Image

I have 2 of these but will plan on just bringing 1 if approved.  I tried to make a balanced run at this datasheet and as always please provide your comments as to how the rules should be tweaked.

BK
The Big Game 2013 - "We March for Memphis!!!"

Posted Image

To error is to invite retribution!

#2 Mad Englishman

Mad Englishman

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

I think it is a great data sheet, but not sure the model has the scale to match. It's difficult without a reference 40K model next to it, and I know it doesn't appear you could fit 5 terminators inside a Land Raider, but is the model even big enough to look as though it could hold 100 models or a Baneblade in its hold?

How big is it dimensionally compared to Thuderhawk?

If it doesn't have the scale, you could cut back on capacity and points and it would still be a cool model to have on table.

David A

#3 BigKahuna

BigKahuna

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

Yeah, I took the Landraider and Baneblade concept from another data sheet out there for the Stormbird, Ultima Pattern.  Wasn't completely sold on it, nor was I planning on transporting heavier tanks like that.  Here are a couple fo soze compairisons photos:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#4 Mad Englishman

Mad Englishman

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

You see to me, it looks like one LR would be a squeeze, but data sheet says LR counts as 30, so that means it could carry 3!!!

I just don't see how it could be allowed to carry 3 when a Thunderhawk carries 1. How many points is a Thunderhawk? (Edit: it's 455 points). If the Stormbird is 1350 and can carry 3 LR's then Thunderhawk should be no more than 300 points - and I don't think it is that low. (Edit: if Thunderhawk is 455, then if you still wanted the keep the specs on the data sheet, then the points cost would have to be much higher - with the base weapon load-out that comes standard and atomic shielding, the points should be 1750-2000)

David A

#5 Mad Englishman

Mad Englishman

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

I have also just noticed that you gave it 5 structure points vs 3 for Thunderhawk and armor of 12-12-11 vs 12-12-10 on a Thunderhawk. Probably about right if the points were higher as mentioned above.

David A

#6 BigKahuna

BigKahuna

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

Point taken.  As I said I started with a boiler plate of a PDF datasheet I found, which initially pointed the model at 1500 points and alot more armament (basic load out had battle cannons, siege cannons, 6 pylons, 8 TL HEavy Bolters, 4 TL autocannons, etc.).  But I am not adverse to bumping up the point cost for starters.  My original thoughts were not to be able to transport LRs or Banblades, but again using the other datasheet as a boiler plate I thought I would get the comminity's opinion.

So back to my riginal thoughts, how about Rhino based vehicles go to 25 (limiting it to a max of 4) and LR count as 50 (limiting them to a max of 2, which I still believe could conceviably fit) and I get rid of the baneblade capacity.  Point-wise how about 1500 base, that way if you take all the additional weapon options it would bring it up to 1850 pts.

Just as a point of reference, the T-hawk transporter is 3 SP while the T-hawk is 4.  Plus per the Imperial Armour Aeronautica both are 12-12-12 now.  Which then I might bumb the rear armor to match.

Posted Image

#7 Mad Englishman

Mad Englishman

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I think with those adjustments (including the rear armor) make sense now to me.

No matter what points or specs it has, it is still a very cool model.

Good luck with it in the Game, and let us know if it works out well both in balance and performance on the day.

David A

#8 saturate

saturate

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

they look lovely indeed :) keep up the work!
Dont wake me from this slumber....

#9 BigKahuna

BigKahuna

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

So what do you all think for final approval. I adjusted the carry equivelants and also upped the points per recommendations.  I still need some more work on painting but it will be ready for Saturday.

Posted Image

BK

Posted Image

#10 mplonski

mplonski

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Just make the sheet for the model that you plan on playing.  Pick the missiles, weapons, and specific transport requirements.  List the specific models that you plan on transporting.  If we have to be worried about every. Possible combination it's much more difficult.

Matt
Posted Image

#11 BigKahuna

BigKahuna

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

In that case I plan on adding the 4 Doomstrike Missiles.  As for transport, it will either be a full boat of Blood Claws with Jump Packs or a large pack of Fenresian Wolves with Thunder Wolf Cavelry (haven't yet made the final decision on that yet).

Posted Image

#12 mplonski

mplonski

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Yeah, that's much easier to balance.  I'd go for 2500 points (just so no one accuses you of ripping them off) unless you are coming too close to your point limit.  I'm paying 2000 points for my Thunderhawk with weapon swap, but I'm also bringing a second player and paying two entry fees so I'm thousands of points away from maxing out.  Price it as high as you can afford.

I'd vote for Thunderwolves, but I would hate to have the duty of cleaning out the troop compartment afterwards.

Matt
Posted Image

#13 Loken

Loken

Supreme Overlord

• Administrators
  • 2,348 posts
  • LocationNewport Beach, CA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

Impressive work on the rules.  Looks amazing.

Alec

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users