longshot

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

Loken Asked me to repost this here.

Ok so this is a blatant copy of BulldogUK's work on his own Stormbird. I admit it, he is better at this than I am but it is a great idea and mine is a bit different. So when a friend approached me and asked me if I would build him 2 Stormbirds in exchange for the Dragonfly to make my own I said yes, what can I say I am a sucker. My buddy had the Aurora dropship but only one so In an attempt to make these 3 all look like the same ship I decided to build the troop compartment form scratch. I have alot of 1/8" material from making my titans so I have lots of cheap supplies.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the beginning. What do you think?
Posted Image

#2 longshot

longshot

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

So here are the scale pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And some more progress.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the Horus Heresy books they refer to the stormbird having some sort of rotary cannon. I am figuring it will be a Vulcan Mega Bolter the white tubes will be the base of the gun.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

in this last picture you can see where I covered the handle on the toy, it was pretty tricky but I think it turned out well.
Posted Image

#3 longshot

longshot

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

So I did some work on the nose and the engines.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The pictures are a little dark I need to find a better background.
Posted Image

#4 longshot

longshot

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

So I made a little progress with the turbines. wrapping the plasticard around them was easier than I thought it would be but I still need to add some layers to them for detail and to stiffen them up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also added the rear fins. the glue I am using actually bonds to the plastic of the model so that has been a great help. I just cut the fins to a 40 degree angle and glued them in place it worked like a charm.

Posted Image

This is the next area I need to work on. The rear is a little flat and I need to get some detail in here but I am still not sure what exactly I am going to add. I am not doing the jets like on BulldogUK's model first because They don't seem to fit well in my mind and because I don't have the parts to do it.

Posted Image
This was a little experiment to see how small I could cut something out on the router I am using. The answer is pretty damn small. The holes are the size of the bit that the router uses, it is about 3/32" or so. I might use this for the chin gun though I am in favor of the twin linked heavy bolter like BulldogUK used or maybe a Las Cannon. I have a bigger set of these to use for the Mega Bolter but the holes are not 1/4" like I thought and I need to run out and get the right sized tube.
Posted Image

#5 longshot

longshot

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

SO I thought I was done making vulcan mega bolters after the last 8 I build, but it was my idea to make more for this project so it is really all my fault.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And because I cannot make just one my forge is taking delivery on the other 2 dragonhawk drive units today. I hope to have production line photos for you soon.
Posted Image

#6 longshot

longshot

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

Mass production

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 longshot

longshot

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

Posted Image
Some people have been asking what kind of glue I use. Well this is it.

I have spent some time adding detail plates to the stormbirds what do you all think?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 longshot

longshot

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

Well the forge is nearing completion on the stormbirds. Two will go to serve the Space Wolves chapter and the third will serve the Crimson Fists. I need to finish up the weapon systems, the landing gear and doors and they are ready to fly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 longshot

longshot

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I got a coat of paint on my stormbird today. The blue is not really that ULTRA it really is darker. it is here with a thunderhawk for size comparison.
Posted Image

#10 Mad Englishman

Mad Englishman

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:54 AM

Longshot,

SUPER COOL. You are a genius, and don't let anyone tell you different. How long is it taking you on each of those would you say?

Great post

David A

#11 Grey Mage

Grey Mage

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:50 AM

They look to be coming along rather nicely, how long do you figure it will take you to paint yours?
The best defense is a good offense.

Looking to buy random eldar, from phantom titan to guardian defenders. If youve got a deal send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users