#2 longshot

longshot

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:03 AM

another aspect is always cool but I really like the Warp Hunter.

http://www.forgeworl...ow-spectres.pdf

http://www.forgeworl...Warp-Hunter.pdf

And D cannons bypass Void and Power Fields!!! At 125 points! And There is a refrence to an Eldar Corsairs army. Wat Up wit dat!
Posted Image

#3 Barn

Barn

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:47 AM

IO wish they would get to the Space Wolf part of IA 11 already!

^~+  Space Wolves  +~^
^~+  Raven Guard  +~^
^~+  Grey Knights +~^
^~+  Flesh Tearers  +~^

#4 Turpin

Turpin

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:28 AM

Those models are gorgeous!  And the Warp Hunter is absolutely LETHAL! OUCH x a lot!!!!

Thanks for the post!

#5 Shinigami

Shinigami

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

they are indeed super sweet models,

but the rules are a bit meh... warphunter needs a 5" blast! :D

tough is it weird i want to add a couple of squads of those specters as "allies" to my imperial apoc army??  :rolleyes:
"Death and Taxes"

#6 mplonski

mplonski

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

View PostShinigami, on 20 January 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

but the rules are a bit meh... warphunter needs a 5" blast! :D

I completely agree.  The rules are very unbalanced.  It doesn't know whether it is playing Apocalypse or regular 40k.  The weapon's range and ability (penetration chance vs. Melta/Prism Cannon/Destroyer, etc.) say 40k while the special rule says Apocalypse.  A 36" 3" template is not very scary on an Apocalypse battlefield.

It is awesome looking, though.  You'd think that making the cannon 3-4 times bigger would get you more than an extra 12" of range on a normal battlefield.  If it ignored Invulnerable Saves too, that would be something.

Matt
Posted Image

#7 Shinigami

Shinigami

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

just giving it a 5" blast would help enormously, in 40k and in Apoc and make it a nice step in between he support platform and the cobra (even if the cobra is a bit meh also... :P )
"Death and Taxes"

#8 Osiron

Osiron

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

I like the flame template firing mode, Aether rift or something, but I think the D-Cannon mode should have either been the large blast, 5" or multiple small templates, maybe 2 or 3.
I agree that It seems like GWS/FW can't decide whether this should be on a 40k or Apocalypse table.  I hope this isn't a trend for the eldar.  Maybe, if I have enough time I might be able to convert one Friday night.
Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know.

#9 Sturm Moonwolf

Sturm Moonwolf

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

I agree, the 3" blast is an injustice. Sweet model though. But not scary. I remember when wraithlords had D-cannons and they actually hurt... The Spectres however are way cool.
If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
Sua Sponte

#10 BlackSwordsofUltramar

BlackSwordsofUltramar

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

Guys, the thing cost 125 points. for the price it's super killy. don't forget it's barrage so it's going to ignore most cover.
The Fallen Forth

#11 Radium

Radium

Private

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

But it's still more expensive than the prism, spinner and falcon. And I'd rather take those than the warp hunter.

It's a very nice model, but the rules don't do it justice. And there's just no way it's going to replace my two prisms and falcon in a standard game - meaning it'll only ever see play in apoc. And as we can all agree on, it's really not all that interesting in apoc when you can take it's bigger brother the Cobra.
Knowledge is power, guard it well.

#12 Osiron

Osiron

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

Except that the Cobra has a D-strength weapon which only inflicts 1 wound per model hit by its template whereas a D-cannon can insta-snuff a multi-wound model.  Each has their respective places, and it is up to you as the general/autarch, to decide the best way to use either of them, if at all.
Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know.

#13 Radium

Radium

Private

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

But str D automatically inflicts Instant Death. Thereby making the gap between the warp hunter and the cobra even bigger...

#14 Osiron

Osiron

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

Well there's egg on my face :blink: I must have forgotten that, thanks for the correction.  How many points is a Cobra, 400-600?  I think an equal points cost of Warp Hunters is better than than one cobra as the cobra only has one 5" template.  Or is that a 3" template?  Add to it that D-strength weapons are downed an inch as well, but not d-cannons.  So 2-4 d-cannons vs one d-strength weapon?  I"ll take the multiple d-cannons, more killing and more to be killed  :)

#15 Radium

Radium

Private

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:19 AM

View PostOsiron, on 22 January 2011 - 01:36 AM, said:

the cobra only has one 5" template.  Or is that a 3" template?

How about 10" :P. For 600 pts. Even with the str D template reduction, the cobra is a LOT better.

Going purely by math: you'd need about 5.55 warp hunters to cover the same area as one cobra (that's even when taking the template reduction into account). Not only is that more expensive than a cobra, it also has shorter ranged guns, less destructive power per shot (even if only a bit) and comes on a more fragile tank. The cobra's D-cannon also ignore all shields so it's really the ultimate titan hunter. The only advantage of the warp hunter I can think of is that you have multiple of those for the cost of a single cobra, meaning you'll still have some firepower left after you take some hits.

#16 Osiron

Osiron

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

The Warp hunter's D-Cannon also ignores all fields and shields as well.

#17 Grey Mage

Grey Mage

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:22 AM

I really, really like the Warp Hunter. Next time my group does a FW order Ill be picking one up, maybe 2 if the cash flow is good.

That being said, Im nervous from a gaming standpoint. Your all right about it being a confused model for its rules... .but when IA 11 comes out, I think thatll change- much like it did for the Caestus and Achilles.

And I have to get IA 11. No doubt. SWs and Eldar? This book was made for me.
The best defense is a good offense.

Looking to buy random eldar, from phantom titan to guardian defenders. If youve got a deal send me a PM.

#18 mplonski

mplonski

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

I sent some feedback to Forge World yesterday.  It couldn't hurt.

My suggestion was to go to a 5" template (although 7" would work) and to treat any model under the center hole as having rolled a '6' on the damage table.  I feel that places it firmly between the Cobra and the D-cannon.  The rule about the center hole allows you to add some Destroyer-strength flavor to the weapon without removing it completely from the 40k universe.

I'd suggest, unless you like the current rules, that you send some feedback.  It doesn't take very long, especially when you compare it to how many years we will play with the model after the book comes out.

(I also begged them to make the Phantom's weapons have long range.  I really hope they don't make a 2000+ point model with a 60" range.)

Matt
Posted Image

#19 Osiron

Osiron

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

Also in the upcoming IA11: Wasp Assault Walkers

War Walker Squadrons with jump jets as Troops choices!!!!
Posted Image
Rules here
http://www.forgeworl.../PDF/w/Wasp.pdf

#20 Grey Mage

Grey Mage

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

Yeah... Im not so sure about the troops-choice part, or how cheap they are compared to regular warwalkers.... but thats because regular warwalkers have some serious issues.

30" Assault range though! Woo-boy, the IG players would cry.
The best defense is a good offense.

Looking to buy random eldar, from phantom titan to guardian defenders. If youve got a deal send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users