21 replies to this topic

#1 DaBigBomma

DaBigBomma

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:38 AM

This has to be the funnest project I’ve done to date.  The first bomber was definitely worth building, but over the last couple years, I’ve adopted several building techniques.  Armed with these new skillz, I decided to build a better bomma.

As before, I started with a 1/48 scale B24 Liberator.  There’s just something about this type of bomber that really appeals to me (when thinking of Orky bomma styles).  It’s big, clunky, and just seems like it’s ready to fall out of the sky- perfect for an Ork bomma!

Posted Image

One of the techniques I adopted was to widen the bodies of 1/48 scale planes.  This takes away the tubular look and makes room for stuff I want to put inside.  And since I want to put more stuff inside, I cut the body in half so I can manage the hull bits better.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Of note, the sprue ribbing holding the hulls together is only temporary.  I got the width where I wanted it and temp-tacked the hulls in place.  I’ll lay some interal ribbing and flooring as I go.

Essentially, I’m making room for an Ork Krew.  In the last bomma, I had only a couple gunners and a cockpit krew (and they were squooshed in so tight as to not be noticeable).  As this bomma will be a master showpiece to my army, I really wanted to go all out with regards to gunners and krew.   So, this is how I imagine the gunners will be distributed (3 on each flank, 2 on top, and 1 rear gunner)

Posted Image

My building plan intent is to have all the gunners temp-tacked into place, lay some flooring and ribbing securing the hulls in their permanent positions, then completely painting the figures.  Once the figures are done, I’ll insert them permanently, then build up the outside of the plane.

Unfortunately, I don’t have enough gunners, so I’m forced to start other parts before continuing with the hull.

Might as well do the wings…  I quick-built the engines (exhaust tubes really) of the other bomma and didn’t do much to make the plane look all that junky, clunky, or Orky.  With the availability of 40k flyer engines, I decided to step up my kitbashing a level.  Not only that, I was going to ruin the perfect smoothness of the model and make it look more junky (another skill improvement I picked up).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As I tidy up the wings, you can start seeing what the final product will look like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once the wings were done being brutalized, I then put a ton of rivets everywhere, completing the wings.

Still waiting on gunners, I decided to start putting together the Deff Arsenal, the real meat and potatoes of the Ork bomma.  Essentially, there is no imagery of what a Deff Arsenal is supposed to look like.  What it does is spits out 3D6 S9 AP3 shots, along with D3 supa-rokkits, all at a range of 120”.  So, with such a wild assortment of powerful, long range weaponry, most people envision a buttload of gun barrels.  I did a modest job of this with the last bomma, but this time I really wanted to go overboard.

I almost made the mistake of replicating my effort of the last bomma- essentially, I just used the bomma’s front end and stuck a bunch of gun barrels out.  As I was about to start, I came across a lone deffkopta body and was struck with an idea.  I really like these deffkopta bodies- I really like the pose of the figure, the flying hat and goggles, and the little kopta frame and handlebars.  I used 4 of these kits to make my Warkoptas and one kit as the driver of a battlewagon, but now I planned on doing something really insane.  

Posted Image

As described above, the deff arsenal is just a beast of a weapon, just stupid-silly in its application and it makes the imagination think of equally stupid stuff.  So,  instead of just having gun barrels sticking out of the nose, I decided to actually model a deff arsenal gunner, at the helm of an insane amount of guns.

Posted Image

And then I put them all together for a quick snapshot.  This is about 3 steady days of work.

Posted Image

#2 Cypher

Cypher

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Location++ Restricted by the Deathwatch ++

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:11 AM

Very cool.  I can't wait to see how the rest of this comes out.

#3 kabniel

kabniel

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:38 PM

I think the use of the kopta driver is perfect.

#4 Globalsmack

Globalsmack

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationDetroit, Michigan

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

That looks pretty bad ass so far.

#5 Grandmasterspectre

Grandmasterspectre

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

Looks great.
Quantity has a quality all its own

Posted Image

#6 KBelleau

KBelleau

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

superb! can wait to see the end result.

#7 DaBigBomma

DaBigBomma

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

Days 4 and 5.  Short days, only about 3 hours a day.  Just worked on the nose gunner.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 DaBigBomma

DaBigBomma

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

Apologies for lack of new updates- been on vacation and won't complete this until my return (next week).

#9 Osiron

Osiron

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:41 PM

No need to apologize, or to hurry.  Take your time and make sure you are happy with it.
Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know.

#10 DaBigBomma

DaBigBomma

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:58 AM

I managed to get a few hours of work done.  All told, I think I'm about 50-60 hours into the project.

I worked on the flight krew today.  Rather than put them side by side (like I did last time), I decided to put them front seat/back seat.  I like that configuration better, and as I'm going all out on this model, I didn't want this to look like a B24 at all.  The cockpit/canopy/upper body are getting extensive work...

Anyway, as with all my characters, I gave these two names- Kap'n Krunch and his co-pilot, Ziggy.

I painted them up and inserted them into the body.  I plan on putting the canopy together next.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 madgrotbob

madgrotbob

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:07 PM

I've see a lot of rather poor Ork aircraft conversions from a kid at my local club

This is Awesome though!

And I shall certainly be telling the kid to look at this log so he can do a good job next time.

Loving the pilots

~ Bob

#12 DaBigBomma

DaBigBomma

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:26 AM

I built up the canopy area.  I ended up wasting about 3 hours trying something out, then reverted back to a good roll-bar look.  

I decided to pose everything for a progress report.  I'm mostly done with the front half, and will start the back half soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 BigKahuna

BigKahuna

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationSaint Peters, MO

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

Awesome...  Just AWESOME!
The Big Game 2013 - "We March for Memphis!!!"

Posted Image

To error is to invite retribution!

#14 KBelleau

KBelleau

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

This is turning out simply awesome! Orky stuff always makes giggle...

Is there going to be a belly gunner?

#15 DaBigBomma

DaBigBomma

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:18 AM

Finished the kitbashing.  All that's left is last minute details and painting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 madgrotbob

madgrotbob

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

Serious cool beans. I'll admit I wasn't entirely certain until you added the tail.

Dreadnought looks a tad odd, stick up above the fuselage as it does, But still serious kudos

#17 Osiron

Osiron

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:20 PM

Koolest Ork Kreation I've ever seen!!!
Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know.

#18 Grandmasterspectre

Grandmasterspectre

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

very nice and very orky
Quantity has a quality all its own

Posted Image

#19 DaBigBomma

DaBigBomma

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:19 PM

Started this project on Aug 6, but took two weeks off.  For the most part I worked an approximate average of 2 hours a day on this beast.  
The bomma turned out exactly as I had hoped, the culmination of a few years of honing my Orky-building skills, and it is indeed a centerpiece in my Ork Waagh!  

As I pretty much have an entire airwing to my Waagh, I posed it with the rest of my "Black Sheep Skwadron".

Since it started out as a WWII B24 Liberator, and in keeping with the tradition of all WWII bombers, I gave it a name:  Hamma Time!  This is actually a repeat name of my last bomma, but as my other bomma has been handed off to new owner (who will repaint it to match his own army), I kept the name.  With the amount of firepower this thing can potentially deal out, “Hamma Time!” just seems appropriate.

I reposted the original pic, what the model kit was intended to look like, just to show the before and after.

Before:
Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

With 2 Fighta-Bommas and a Fighta:

Posted Image

The entire Skwadron:

Posted Image

#20 Machinator

Machinator

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationHolly, Michigan

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

Wow that is awesome!  Great Job!

I'm very impressed, makes me want to build one now :)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users