14 replies to this topic

#1 Abbo

Abbo

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

Firstly i wish to apologize for making a new eldar thread, i was reading others and a question came up id like resolved before i make my 10k eldar army.
How should my army look, should it be lots of small things such as aspect warriors, falcons etc. or more larger units?
Abbo

#2 GreatEscape_13

GreatEscape_13

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

First things first, I would ask a few crucial questions:

1) What theme do you want to have?
2) What standard of painting do you expect?
3) Are you expecting to use this as a pool to pull smaller 40k games from, or primarily as an Apoc-only force?
4) How much time do your games tend to be scheduled for?

Theme is important because it can decide the issue a lot of times. Do you want to be a fast strikeforce? Do you want to be a human wave? Is there a particular craftworld that you want to play? Answering those concerns could solve the issue of what types of purchases you're going to add to the army.

Standard of Painting matters because of its effect on time. If you're like me, and can't abide playing with non-painted minis, then know that the "lots of small things" approach will be a slow build--big expensive point units (Fire Prisms and Wraithlords and FW stuff) help you get to the points cap with less overall painting. If you're a spray and go (or --gasp-- "play grey") kind of player, then no options are better or worse than others.

Pool for Smaller Games is a big factor too, as it would trend you toward picking a mix of lots of units (most likely). That way you can mix-and-match from your big force. A lot of people do their Apoc armies this way, and it's how they generally make decisions about expanding their force: e.g. "what don't I have?" or "what would have helped in that 1,500 point against my buddy the other day?"

Time is what I am focused on. I like transports and static shooting squads, as it means less time moving models about (I have yet to go for 40k-fitting infantry movement trays). That means quicker turns, which means more of the game played. If you rent a hall / play in a store, then you may be limited by what times an Apoc game can run. Then fewer units, with more transports, tends to be a more manageable force.

Anyhow, I would love to hear your response to any of those--and see what you think. Working through that might help you sort out what to begin purchasing.

Cheers.

#3 Abbo

Abbo

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

The theme for the list is an Ulthwe army. I have recently fallen in love with the eldar background and want to work out a stong army for apocalypse. I intent to have a Guardian defender block to hold the home objectives or possibly be used as an ulthwe strike force formation. speed is also a strong consideration for me as i mainly play marines and Tau in apoc
I am a slow painter but this year at uni i intend to get painting done and the time it takes to move models doesnt bother me, i previously played guard. the games range from 5-10 hours on slightly small boards which can sometimes lead to issues.
the force will be used in non apoc but apoc is the primary idea.
abbo

#4 Abbo

Abbo

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

Okay just got back from warhammer world.
I now own the following.
1 Scorpion mk2 heavy grav tank
1 Nightwing interceptor
1 wraithseer
1 wraithlord
5 dark reapers
2 farseers, 3 warlocks
10 guardians
15 dire avengers
1 wave serpent
1 falcon
5 fire dragons
5 striking scorrpions
2 war walkers.
I have £300 to spend still in my budget and was thinking about picking up a second scorpion and 2 battleforces, is this a good idea or should i focus on other assets.

Many thanks Abbo

#5 GreatEscape_13

GreatEscape_13

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

With 300 to spend, I would invest in more transport capability for your units. 2 more Falcons and 2-4 more Wave Serpents would be a really solid start. Otherwise your infantry will be too easily shredded--which can hurt your ability to hold objectives. And more tank transports will help give you more options for non-Apoc games as well.

Cheers.

#6 Osiron

Osiron

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

Or, if your focus is Apocalypse oriented, a great transport is the Vampire.
Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know.

#7 mplonski

mplonski

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

A Vampire is always a great idea.  Falcons and Wave Serpents will not go wrong either.

I would suggest a couple Lynx with either weapon loadout.  A couple of Phoenix flyers would be a good idea as well.

Matt
Posted Image

#8 Osiron

Osiron

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

A cloudstrike formation of a handful of Falcons will work great to get infantry across the table in a hurry, as well as protect them, just like the Vampire.  If you want to go offensive, then definitely a lynx or two.  I highly recommend researching the different Eldar formations and pick a couple that you like, compliment your army, and/or compliment your playstyle, then build those formations.  The sunstorm formation is a Group favorite as is the Deathweb and seer council of Ulthwe.  Myself, I prefer the cloudstrike and doom serpent.  As far as individual models go, an individual model will get singled out and destroyed.  As such, a Revenant Titan will distract your opponents, and divert a lot of their attention and therefore firepower easing the burden on the rest of your army.
Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know.

#9 Grey Mage

Grey Mage

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

All the transports in the world are just kinda of meh if they have nothing to transport. As cool as it would be to get you some more tanks, Id make sure you expand your existing squads out to useful sizes. Thus Id say you should get another battleforce- rounding out your dire avengers and giving them a transport, and completing your WW squadron.

Id also say you should pick up five more scorpions, another unit of Fire Dragons- and likely a falcon to put them in- And consider a falcon for your seer council- and a couple more warlocks for your gaurdian squads. A Serpent for the scorpions could be useful, and let you field the aspect assault wave with an autarch if you want to.

A Lynx, with either weapon setup, would make a good backup to your scorpion, and is a fair bit lighter on the wallet... so Id go that route.

Then Id suggest adding in more infantry... a couple squads of swooping hawks, for their mobility and all around usefulness, or some Shining spears for their solid close combat abilities and speed.
The best defense is a good offense.

Looking to buy random eldar, from phantom titan to guardian defenders. If youve got a deal send me a PM.

#10 Abbo

Abbo

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

Grey Mage, on 30 August 2011 - 06:33 PM, said:

All the transports in the world are just kinda of meh if they have nothing to transport. As cool as it would be to get you some more tanks, Id make sure you expand your existing squads out to useful sizes. Thus Id say you should get another battleforce- rounding out your dire avengers and giving them a transport, and completing your WW squadron.

Id also say you should pick up five more scorpions, another unit of Fire Dragons- and likely a falcon to put them in- And consider a falcon for your seer council- and a couple more warlocks for your gaurdian squads. A Serpent for the scorpions could be useful, and let you field the aspect assault wave with an autarch if you want to.

A Lynx, with either weapon setup, would make a good backup to your scorpion, and is a fair bit lighter on the wallet... so Id go that route.

Then Id suggest adding in more infantry... a couple squads of swooping hawks, for their mobility and all around usefulness, or some Shining spears for their solid close combat abilities and speed.

very interesting ideas from all, as for the lynx i need a second scorpion to beg for parts to fix the first. I also see the infantry issue. How many avengers do people normally use?

#11 Grey Mage

Grey Mage

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

Well it depends... of course. I probly have 1 unit of Avengers for every 1k-1.5k in my army, as well as a few pathfinder squads. Bladestorm is a great power for a unit that wants to stay mobile anyways and the solid anti-infantry firepower of 32 S4 shots makes them worthwhile in my eyes.

They also pad my wound count, wich is often an important consideration too. While the sheer mass of templates that can appear in apocalypse can negate this somewhat, more wounds on the field gives you a buffer I find- sometimes you just need warm bodies to get things done.

Edit: and Im curious... whats wrong with your scorpion?

Looking to buy random eldar, from phantom titan to guardian defenders. If youve got a deal send me a PM.

#12 Abbo

Abbo

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:13 AM

Missing the rear wings and one side thruster. Here is a list i have made for apoc, any criticism would be great.

Ulthwe 5103

Aspect assault wave
10 Fire dragons
Exarch, Fire pike, Crack shot, tank hunters
Wave serpent
Bright Lance, Spirit stones
10 Striking scorpions
Exarch, Scorpions claw
Wave serpent
Bright Lance, Spirit stones
10 dire avengers
exarch, power wepon+shimmershield, bladestorm, defend
Wave serpent
Scatter laser, spirit stones
Autarch
Power weapon, mandiblasters

Scorpion
Eldar missile launcher
Scorpion
Eldar missile launcher

Eldrad Ulthuan
Farseer
Runes of warding, spirit stones, doom, guide
Farseer
Runes of warding, spirit stones, doom, fortune
10 guardians
bright lance
warlock
embolden, spirit seer
10 guardians
bright lance
warlock
embolden, spirit seer
10 dire avengers
exarch, defend, bladestorm, diresword
5 Dark reapers
Exarch, Fast shot, missile launcher
10 dire avengers
exarch, defend, bladestorm, dual shuripults
Wraithlord
twin flamers, Missile launcher, bright lance
Wraithseer
d canon

cloud strike squadron
Falcon
Eldar missile launcher, holo fields, star engines, sprit stones
Falcon
Falcon
Shadow walker warhost 50
War walker
bright lance x2
War walker
bright lance x2
War walker
bright lance x2
nightwing interceptor
£292

#13 Grey Mage

Grey Mage

Lieutenant

• The Imperium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:47 AM

Why are you bringing gaurdians? And what is the purpose of your footslogging units? Will they be holding ground? What strategems do you intend to use with this? Why 5103?

#14 Abbo

Abbo

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

Okay, im playing an ulthwe list and i felt that guardians are indeed mandatory. my group does try and fit the back ground. I armed them with bright lances as they will be holding my home objective with the dark reapers, a farseer, the slogging avengers. the avengers who are foot slogging will then split off and follow the wraithlord and seer down centre.
The two scorpions will fly down either flank to destroy those pesky enemy Anti tank vehicles.
The cloudstrike is more an annoyance formation to draw some firepower and maybe drop a tank or two. The warwalkers will be used to stop any enemy heavy threats and bring down void shields. Finnally my aspect assault wave will be gunning for the centre.
5103, could do with advice on how to drop those 103 without hurting my list too much.
Strategems was thinking either vital objective or Phantasm for a scary surprise

#15 Shinigami

Shinigami

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

if youre trying to down void shields with your warwalkers scatter lasers are the way to go, or to save points, shuriken cannons
"Death and Taxes"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users